- What's new
- About American Periodicals from the Center for Research Libraries (APCRL)
- About American Periodicals Series
- About Archive Finder
- About The Bookman Directory of Booksellers, Publishers and Authors
- About British Periodicals
- About Cotgreave's Index
- About Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century Journalism
- About House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- About An Index to Legal Periodical Literature
- About the Niles' Register Cumulative Index 1811–1849
- About The Nineteenth Century
- About Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (NSTC)
- About Palmer's Index to The Times
- About Periodicals Index Online / Periodicals Archive Online (formerly Periodicals Contents Index (PCI) and PCI Full Text)
- About Poole's Index to Periodical Literature
- About Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- About Stead's Index to Periodicals
- About The Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
- About the U.S. Serial Set
- Linking to full text
Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (NSTC)
'Anyone needing to make his or her way through nineteenth-century print culture, whether historian, literary scholar, librarian, or bookseller, must have access to [...] the Nineteenth-century short title catalogue (NSTC). '
Joanne Shattock, The Historical Journal, 47, 2 (2004), pp.511-515
The Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (NSTC) defines the printed record of the English-speaking world from the beginning of the nineteenth century to the end of the First World War. The project aims to index all printed works published in Britain, its colonies and the United States of America, all printed works in English wherever published, and all translations from English. In addition to providing an exhaustive survey of the complete spectrum of monograph publications in the period, the catalogue indexes thousands of periodicals, directories and other ephemeral publications.
NSTC Series I (1801-1815), Series II (1816-1870) and Series III (1871-1919) were first published by Avero Publications between 1983 and 2002 in print and on two CD-ROMs. Together they comprise more than 1,278,000 cross-searchable records drawn from the catalogues of the Bodleian Library, the British Library, Harvard University Library, the Library of Congress, the Library of Trinity College, Dublin, the National Library of Scotland and the University Libraries of Cambridge and Newcastle.
This online edition of NSTC has been expanded and updated with new material forming NSTC Series IV. NSTC Series IV currently comprises more than 25,000 catalogue records for works from the period 1801-1919 added to the holdings of the British Library after 1976, when the last supplement to the British Museum General Catalogue of Printed Books was issued. In future releases, Series IV will grow to incorporate additional records for nineteenth-century holdings from other research collections.
As part of C19: The Nineteenth Century Index, NSTC Series I-IV combine with more than 28,000 bibliographic records created to accompany The Nineteenth Century to provide exhaustive coverage of nineteenth-century monographs and other books. Results from NSTC and The Nineteenth Century are displayed in the 'Books' section on the Search Results display.
NSTC is a valuable tool for research supporting a wide variety of disciplines. NSTC includes well-known and obscure works of literature, important translations, legal documents, political pamphlets, medical and scientific monographs, and periodicals, allowing users to build research bibliographies and save them to a personal archive, or print, email or download them.