C19 Index is the bibliographic spine of 19th century research, providing integrated access to the most important finding aids for books, periodicals, official publications, newspapers and archives. Users of C19 Index can query its 14 collections simultaneously, or can conduct more detailed research using collection-specific search screens. C19 Index is a dynamic and growing resource, currently containing over 24 million bibliographic records for a full range of 19th century source material. The links below provide more detail on the 14 collections available in C19 Index.
- What's new
- About American Periodicals from the Center for Research Libraries (APCRL)
- About American Periodicals Series
- About Archive Finder
- About The Bookman Directory of Booksellers, Publishers and Authors
- About British Periodicals
- About Dictionary of Nineteenth Century Journalism
- About House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- About the Niles' Register Cumulative Index 1811–1849
- About The Nineteenth Century
- About Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (NSTC)
- About Palmer's Index to The Times
- About Periodicals Index Online / Periodicals Archive Online (formerly Periodicals Contents Index (PCI) and PCI Full Text)
- About Poole's Index to Periodical Literature
- About Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- About Stead's Index to Periodicals
- About The Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
- About the U.S. Congressional Serial Set
- Linking to full text
Enhanced version of the Wellesley Index - now available!
An enhanced, standalone version of the Wellesley Index is now available to all C19 Index users, free of charge. This new version offers enhanced searching and browsing of all articles, contributors, pseudonyms, and periodical introductions. Results are grouped, allowing users to quickly focus on specific aspects of this complex material in ways that are not possible using the broader C19 Index, or the earlier print or CD-ROM versions of Wellesley. Extensive hyperlinking between the various record types is also available as well as MARC records for all of the indexed periodicals and for the database itself. A link to "Search the enhanced version of the Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900" is available at the bottom of the Wellesley Index search screen, and each Wellesley record within C19 Index provides a link to the corresponding record in the Wellesley standalone version.
Should you wish to list the Wellesley Index on your list of databases, the URL for the new standalone version is:
If you have any difficulties accessing the Wellesley standalone, please contact us.